Thursday, April 5, 2012

So Here's the Deal.....

I am starting this blog to chronicle my life as a husband, father, and Stage IV Colorectal Cancer patient. Yep, that's right...I have Cancer. It sucks, and I am not to happy about it. However, I have faith that I will come through this okay.

Here's a quick (well maybe not too quick) recap of how this all went down to get you up to speed....

March 28th
Over the past couple months I haven't been feeling the best. I saw the family Dr. in February and she gave me some medicine. Unfortunately it didn't do the trick, so she ordered a CT Scan for March 28th. The scan showed some swelling in the colon and fluid in the abdomen. I wasn't too concerned at this point, as I was thinking that there were a number of different things that could cause it.

April 3rd
Because of the abnormalities in the CT Scan, a Colonoscopy was scheduled. In the recovery room, the Dr. told us that they found a very large mass, almost fully obstructing my colon. Pathology results would take a day or two, but they were fairly confident that it was cancerous. Immediately, they had us meet with a Colorectal surgeon. At this point, we were getting a bit nervous, but weren't totally shaken. After meeting with the surgeon in the afternoon, he too said that he thought it was cancerous. He said that having surgery first was not the best path to take as it was so large in size and needed to be shrunk down first. This would increase the chance of survival and decrease risk for further spreading. He set us up to meet with the medical oncologist the following morning.

April 4th
We met with the medical oncologist and this is where the reality of the situation really started hit. He immediately started scheduling me for several follow up tests/procedures/doctors appointments.
This is where we also got the pathology reports that confirmed this was cancer.
This is where the gravity of the situation sunk in.
This is where our lives turned upside down.

F U Cancer

No comments:

Post a Comment