Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Update

Just wanted to give everybody a quick update on Joe.....

He has been doing well and enjoying lots of company. He still has his sense of humor and is keeping all of his visitors along with the hospice staff entertained with his snarky comments. He is able to sit up in a chair and even takes a few laps around the hospice wing once a day (he keeps looking for someone to race, but isn't finding much competition!). While there is a lot of laughter, there is also definitely a lot of tears. It is quite the roller coaster of emotions.

The staff here is A-MAZ-ING! Several of the nurses that he has met over the last four months have stopped by. They are all sporting his CANCER NINJA bracelets and rallying for him. He has honestly touched so many people with his ability to hold his head high throughout this that even the nurses are leaving in tears.

He is at peace with everything that is happening, but is concerned for the kids and I. We try to reassure him with the fact that we are surrounded by great family and friends and it helps some.

The kids are understandably confused, scared and sad....as are we all. When the kids were leaving the hospital last night, Joey convinced me to let him get something out of the vending machine. A few minutes later, as we were walking down the hall, Joey opened his hand and showed me the pack of Life Savers he had chosen and said "I wish I could just give dad one of these and it would work." (insert tears!!) My heart just breaks for them.

Right now, all signs show that his body is continuing to fight the infection, but he is sleeping much more and eating/drinking less. We are bringing him home tomorrow and will be getting hospice care from the house. This was a tough decision, but Joe wants to be able to see the kids during the time when he is awake and feeling good.

We are both overwhelmed by the outpouring of love he is receiving. Know that all the text messages, voice mails, and Facebook comments are beings heard. Please continue to pray for him to be at peace and free of pain, also please pray for our 3 AWESOME kids who are hurting.

- Jess

Below are some pics from the last few days (many of your have probably already seen these on Facebook)

- The kids sending some prayers up
- His Cancer Ninja bracelet (all the cool kids have one!)
- One of his awesome nurses reloading his super powers
- His opinion of cancer is pretty clear

8 comments:

  1. Joe & Jess - although we've only met a few times at the Weir's Christmas parties or patio party or just around the neighborhood, we've never had the opportunity of knowing you on a real personal level. However, we know that the company that Jason and Jill keep is extra special and we know just how special you are. Jason continues to keep us posted and we have been following the blog. Our hearts are aching for you and we are continuing to lift you up in prayer. God Bless - Brooke & Nick Latorre

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe is amazing. Good to hear he is going home and can spend more time with kids. If love and prayers could only heal, joe would be out catching fish and reach/catch the day' limit. Love and prayers, Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear he is good spirits and has great nurses.my dad battled colon cancer twice and now shits in a bag.when he got done with his treatment they made him a burger king hat and blinged it out for him.that support helps tremendously. I was looking in an old box and found some of the OLD letters he and I used to write to u and Kara during auto class and u guys were still in Jr high. I was cracking up. We always ended with MICHIGAN RULES/ NOTRE DAME SUCKS..Makes me smile when I think if that. Give him my love and you ALL are always in my thought..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Jessica for keeping us posted....I have been thinking and praying for all of you, especially these last several days. When I think of your 3 beautiful children I am reminded of myself and my siblings 24 years ago saying goodbye to my dad (his battle was about 3 months), feeling sad and confused. It was the strength and faith of my mother that helped me through. You are strong too, Jessica, and you have an amazing family and support of friends. Joe, as I sit here with my morning coffee reflecting on my few memories of you and everything I have read on the blog, I feel truly blessed for them. You are a man of great character and strength, and have inspired many. May peace be with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very well said, sister! .... Jessica, I know you don't know me but I am Sandra's sister and I have shared her friendship and love for your sweet sister, Emily....I hope that you find strength everyday to continue to carry on as Joe would want you to....your children will give you the strength that somedays you may feel that you lack....you will never be alone. Joe, your strength is amazing and your spirit will continue to shine in the souls of your 3 beautiful babies. I pray that your pain is eased and that you all know how much inspiration others find in your strength! God Bless all of you ....

      Delete
  5. Joe
    I know it has been quite some years since we last saw each other or have spoken. I remember waiting in line to get tickets for Pearl Jam back in the day. I have read your blog and am so impressed at your strength and courage. Joe one thing I will always remember about you is your smile. Just know that I am thinking about you and your beautiful family. You are truly an inspiration. Jess I know we have never met but from what I have read you have been an amazing wife to my friend and a great mom. He is lucky to have you. God bless your family and much love to you joe and Jess.
    Shari Westphal

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a trooper!!! Such an awesome, awesome guy! We continue to pray and think of your family!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been following your blog through friends Ron & Jacqueline David. Please consider some video taping (if you haven't already) for the kids to watch in the future. Sounds like with Joe's amazing sense of humor, he could tape some remarkable pieces for them. Peace and Love to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete